Proposed dirty MRF in Vancouver aims to boost plastic recovery

Proposed dirty MRF in Vancouver aims to boost plastic recovery

By Editorial Staff, Plastics Recycling Update

Feb. 21, 2014

A $30 million materials recovery facility is being proposed for collection of plastics and other materials in the Metro Vancouver area of British Columbia.

Metro Vancouver, an electorate spanning 22 municipalities and including Vancouver and Coquitlam, will decide on the fate of the proposal submitted by NextUse Recycling. With Metro Vancouver's consent, NextUse would take the next two years to build its MRF in Coquitlam, eventually hiring 80 employees and processing about a quarter of Metro Vancouver's municipal solid waste stream.

According to a NextUse press release, City Council members in Coquitlam have already offered their support for the project.

The company's Nancy Grenier told Plastics Recycling Update the prospective operation would aim to recover recyclables and yard debris from, essentially, garbage. According to Grenier, Metro Vancouver plans to reach a 70 percent diversion rate by 2016, leaving 30 percent of the waste stream open to NextUse's salvaging.

Despite active disposal bans on a long list of recyclable products and materials, NextUse believes there will be sufficient recyclables within the waste stream to find, separate and send for recycling, maximizing the diversion rate and aiding current recovery programs throughout Metro Vancouver.

Canterburyl Banner

To return to the Plastics Recycling Update newsletter, click here

.

.